Isabella A/S was established in 1957 by Søren Odgaard. He wanted a tent and being unable to find anything suitable, he made one at home, in his basement.
But, like every true enthusiast, he was convinced that there were many others similarly interested in carefree holidays and the outdoor life, and his intuitions turned out to be correct.
Søren Odgaard was in the right place, at the right time, and with the right product - namely tents. Making it possible for other free spirits to fulfil their dreams of outdoor holidays.
This way, Søren Odgaard began making and renting out tents to the new, more adventurous breed of campers. In 1960 production was transferred to the disused “Vandel” rail and road station, and the Company’s first real factory building. This was soon outgrown and a year later, the Company had moved to bigger premises at its present address on Isabellahøj - named by Vejle municipality in recognition of the already visible success of Isabella.
Throughout the years Isabella has managed always always managed to keep one step ahead of the their competitors by inventing and doing operations considered “impossible” in the caravanning industry.
The “Isabella” name and original logo type was taken from a German high-end car; the “Isabella Borgward” - as the tents are transported by car this is very apt. Inspired by the beautiful Spanish Queen Isabella a royal crown was added to the logo. Very appropriate, since she was also very fond of sending people travelling - most notably, Christoffer Christopher Columbus!
Want to read more about isabella’s history and see photos of isabella through time, you can download our anniversary magazine that was published in connection with isabella’s 50th birthday in 2007.